If you are thinking about downsizing whether to an assisted living community or an independent living apartment, there are many things that you need to consider. Whatever your reasons for moving, you know that you may not be able to take all of your belongings and furniture. This means that you have to take extra steps to organise everything before you move.
Once you have made the decision to downsize, it is never too early to start planning and getting ready. If you are lost, you can consider this timeline as a guide:
Six to four months before the move
Six to four months before you move, you should make sure to complete the following tasks:
- Start visiting apartments or assisted living facilities. If you can, have a chat with current residents and staff members to get a good sense of the environment.
- Look for a family member that can help you sort belongings.
Three months before the move
Three months before you move, you should make sure to complete the following tasks:
- It is time to make a list of things to pack.
- Since you enlisted the help of a family member, you should begin assigning tasks.
- Call movers Austin to get estimates. To pick the right service, you have to read the reviews.
Two months before the move
Two months before you move, you should make sure to complete the following tasks:
- Decide what items to keep, donate and move.
- Contact insurance agent to transfer property, medical and other insurance policies.
One month before the move
One month before you move, you should make sure to complete the following tasks:
- By this time you already identified the right moving company. You have to contact the company and set your moving date.
- Purchase packing and moving supplies like tape, bubble wraps, and boxes.
- Make an inventory of the things you already packed.
- Submit a change of address form to your local post office.
- Transfer newspaper or magazine subscriptions to your new apartment.
Three weeks before the move
Three weeks before you move, you should make sure to complete the following tasks:
- If you want to sell your things, plan a garage or estate sale.
- Call your local bank to update your account information.
One week before the move
One week before you move, you should make sure to complete the following tasks:
- Leave the necessary clothing that you will need for the next week – the rest you need to pack.
- Give plants if you do not want to move them.
Three days before the move
Three days before you move, you should make sure to complete the following tasks:
- You should start disassembling furniture that is not being used.
- Clean the appliances.
- Confirm with the moving company.
- Check if the boxes are labeled correctly. If you can, color-code the boxes for easy identification.
On moving day, you should make sure to complete the following tasks:
- Check every room in case you forgot something.
- The payment should be ready for the movers.
- After unloading, check your inventory of belongings to make sure everything was accounted for.